Summary of Essential Functions
- Under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse; provides personal care to patients in the hospital; ages infant to geriatric.
- Must be enrolled and in good standing with an accredited RN program. Must have successfully completed the nursing assessment class.
- Failure to progress through the final year will result in reduction of status to a PCA.
Licenses and Certifications
- Apply understandings to carry out written and oral instructions.
- Recognize problems and take reporting action based upon sound judgment.
- Reading and writing, speaking, and basic addition, subtraction skills required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides personal or hygiene care (i.e. assisting with elimination), assisting with activity, and transporting patients.
- Ensure that proper equipment and supplies are used for tasks to be performed and that no wasting of supplies takes place. Reports broken equipment or unsafe conditions in assigned area, assists with stocking and cleaning supply areas and nutrition stations.
- Performs all procedures and conducts self according to hospital and safety policies and procedures. Answers patient call-lights quickly, assists in admission, transfer, and discharge of patients, observes patient condition and reports immediately, any untoward signs symptoms, on unusual occurrences, assists other team members with completion of duties and seeks assistance when needed, assists with collection and transport of lab specimens and retrieves blood/blood products from lab and supplies/equipment from CS.
- May perform technical skills for which competence may be verified through educational "checkoffs" or United Regional's precepted orientation programs, including but not limited to: EKG: 12 Lead & remote monitors, insertion of Foley catheter - care & specimens, surgical preps, and NG Tube insertion/removal.
- Assist with unit specific routine patient care protocols, BBG monitoring, peripheral venipuncture, IV starts, discontinuation of peripheral IVs, actively shadow and learn organizational and medicolegal aspects of accepting patients, transferring patients, managing death in the ED, etc.
- Performs all other tasks/responsibilities as necessary.