Summary of Essential Functions
- Under the direction and supervision of the Registered Professional; provides personal care to patients in the hospital; ages infant to geriatric.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
Licenses and Certifications
- Certification as Nursing Assistant or equivalent and experience preferred.
- CPR Certifications.
- Apply understandings to carry out written and oral instructions.
- Recognize problems and take reporting action based upon sound judgment.
- Reading and writing, speaking, and basic addition, subtraction skills required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides personal care to include oral hygiene, hair and skin care; bathing, bed making dressing/undressing patients; assisting with elimination; assisting with activity including turning, positioning, standing, pivoting, sitting, ambulating, and transporting patients; assisting with activities of daily living.
- Assists with completion and collection of patient menus, passes and collects food trays as indicated. Feed patients as necessary and records meal intake in record.
- Ensure that proper equipment and supplies are used for tasks to be performed and that no wasting of supplies takes place, reports broken equipment or unsafe conditions in assigned area and enters work order or makes notation on work log specific items needing repair (follows maintenance checklist).
- Assists with stocking and cleaning supply areas and nutrition stations.
- Performs all procedures and conducts self according to hospital and safety policies and procedures, answers patient call-lights quickly, assists in admission, transfer, and discharge of patients, observes patient condition and reports immediately any untoward signs, symptoms, or unusual occurrences, assists other team members with completion of duties and seeks assistance when needed, assists with collection and transport of lab specimens and retrieves blood/blood products from lab and supplies/equipment from CS.
- Performs selected patient treatments per hospital and division of nursing policies and procedures under the direction of the RN, such as: enemas, sitz baths, application of ice packs or K-pads, etc.
- May perform technical skills for which competence may be verified through educational "checkoffs" or United Regional's precepted orientation programs, including but not limited to: EKG: 12 Lead & remote monitors, insertion of Foley catheter - care & specimens, surgical preps, and NG Tube insertion/removal.
- Routinely performs clerical duties at the nurse's station: answers intercom in a timely manner and disseminates information to appropriate staff member for appropriate follow-through. Relays pertinent information to appropriate nursing personnel. Assembles, maintains, and reviews medical records according to hospital policy. Orders/records supplies in a timely manner. Transcribes physician's orders. Maintains effective/efficient computer skills.
- Performs all other tasks/responsibilities as necessary.